Friday, November 7, 2014

11.07.14. Language lessons, lectures, and more

Decided that I wanted to learn Yapese, which is not that easy to pick up as everyone speaks English. So I now have a teacher from the grade school who clearly has her work cut out for her. The pronunciation of some sounds is so different from English and she made me feel a litle better when she mentioned that Americans all have a problem with "ng" and other combinations. I practice in the grocry store (poor ladies) and on the way to work sometimes with the people I see everyday.

Gave the third breast cancer lecture today and I must say it was well received. I think thye must think Americans are crazy - I showed a picture of Fionnegan and Gunnarr at their birthday party. It is very unlikely that the Yapese would celebrate a dog's birthday with hats and cupcakes!

Will be going to all of the community health centers within the next two months to teach and refresh how to do CBE and SBE. My latest assignment was to  teach the staff how to don personal protective equipment and now I have todo a lecture on Universal Precautions as I pointed out a pauity of hand washing. The sanitizer is there outside of every room on the floor. I am going to mark the bottles - I tired today but my pen didn't work. Will use a magic marker and see if the level changes.

Another nice evening - not as colorful sunset as last night but still nice light.








No comments:

Post a Comment