Saturday, November 22, 2014

11.22.14 Chocolate gets his first bath

Sorry to say there are no pictures of this. Pretty much had my hands full with enticing Chocolate to "stay" (right!) while I scrubbed him with an OR scrub brush.

He now comes by the area where I live frequently, waiting for me by the stairs. So I ran up and got a large pot of water and a scrub brush and some food. Initially he just ate while I scrubbed. Then he really didn't like the water on him so he tried to run away. I lured him back with a milk bone and let him bite it in half and put my arm under his neck and scrubbed as fast as I could. He kept looking at the other half and didn't get it until I had to rewet the brush. Let's say we both had a bath! I finally dumped the pot of water on him. He shook off to dry and then came back for more food.

It looks like he is healing those areas where I am applying the medication and with some calories, maybe he will heal completely. I'll give it a week rest before I try to wash him again, but next time I think I am just going to put dish washing liquid on his coat to make sure we have enough soap. I am surprised he let me hold him still and he even licked my hand today. The milk bones are a quick source of calories and now he has fresh breath, too. He is not too upset, when I came out later he was waiting for me. Smart dog, he knows where there is food. He also comes now when I call his name or whistle. I have a ribbon, so I think I am going to make him a collar when his coat looks better  so everyone will know he is no longer a stray.

Went to check on the refugees. They are healthy, no  new medical problems and they are able to cook the rice and other foods. The Red Cross is finally getting it together and have ads on the radio to donate food. Never should we complain at home if services are not immediate.

At Mass tonight (was invited to go to the English Mass and hear the choir - beautiful singing). The priest overheard a conversation in the store about  buying boxes of turkey tail. Yes, it is exactly what is sounds like. For some reason, Micronesians love eating turkey tail and they buy it in large size boxes. I personally do not see the appeal. It was on a "plate" of ffod that I bought at one fair and not to my taste - almost no meat and all fat. But the refugees will now have the chance to try turkey tail, taro, coconut, bananas, cassava, and many local foods that they have never tried in the past. Some had never seen a green banana and they were going to eat it skin and all. So I do hope someone explains how to prepare these foods.

Went to go kayaking later in the afternoon (it was soooooooooooooooo hot today I cannot even imagine being on a boat, kayak or canoe in the hot sun). But in the afternoon clouds roll in, sometimes it rains, sometimes not, most rains are brief and it is ideal to be outside. But no one was there to rent and I dozed off waiting and then decided to just go home and make a pizza. Will try early tomorrow morning, before it gets too hot.

Found this picture on the internet. They are so cute and remind me of my boys Fionnegan and Gunnarr when they talk to each other. I have found them having conversations under the table while I am working or in their playpen when they think I am not watching. But I most fondly remember them talking to me on occasion. The first time Fionn talked to me it was so sweet it brought tears to my eyes. He sat next to me as I was getting ready for work and just softly mumbled. I had him repeat it and what he wanted was a hug! I had picked him up and he snuggled his head in my neck and put his paws around me for a moment, and then he was done. A week later, Gunnarr started to talk to me, too. I do miss them. I suspect they would like Chocolate very much.



Fionnegan and Gunnarr. Two very happy and well loved puppies! This was taken in Gloucester. We hiked up to Stage Fort from the causeway and they climbed up on the rocks. What fun!



Chocolate is looking happier and healthier every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment