Friday, November 28, 2014

11.28.14 Friday "Black Friday"

It is funny to hear the staff talk about "Black Friday". A lot shop on the internet.

Tonight was perfect weather for me. It has the feeling of a storm in the air - wind is at 10 to 15 knots, gusty up to 20 or so, warm and humid. I went to Mnuw after making dinner for Judith and myself (another PCRV). A concert by Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac was shown on the big screen and I was in a favorite corner outdoor seat so I could watch the stars "come and go" and feel the wind and listen to the waves lap against the boats. I would have stayed there all night if I could.

This has been a long week. The brochures for which I have been waiting for a long time still have not  arrived. I am at the predicted phase of a volunteer life where all of the gaps in the system become more than evident and one questions the impact of your work. One of those days.

I gave my 5th CME lecture today on the surgical management of breast cancer. That is a lot for being here less than three months. I was also supposed to give a training session to the Public Health and Community Health Nurse, but the room was double booked, a meeting time that could have been used was cancelled ten minutes after it was suppsed to strat. You know, one of those system disorganized days. If these developing places were more organinzed and had better communications, probably half of their problems would be solved.

My buddy Chocolate found me as I was walking to work around 5:30 this morning. His boobed off tail was wagging as he got into step with me until I noticed him. I fed him and he usually stays, but lately he has been walking up to the hospital with me - a long walk for this old dog. Then he settled in along the side of the hospital and I do believe he would have waited for me all day. I had forgetten something at home so I had him follow me back. It was obvious he was tired, so he left me at midpoint to rest. He walks in the outside corridor to follow me and I have to be very careful no one gets upset. Hence leading him back towards my home seemed like a good idea. He is getting better or it could be my imagination. But he is running and happy. And we have become attached to each other. I do have to be careful by the hospital. The pup Cutey looks forwards to my treats and they don't really like each other. I have trained Cutey to "shush" so he doesn't bark when he is excited ot see me. The distraction of the dogs is probably what keeps me sane here some days.

Here is Chocolate. He stayed by side for over an hour and a half, without treats. I don't want ot encourage him to come ot the hospital and only feed him by my place or along the raod. The door lock to the office was jammed and I couldn't get in. Figures. I went so early to prepare for the lectures and ended up sitting on the bench.



Still mangy, but less mangy. He lets me pull out the old hairs that are loose.


Nap time, after all, he got up at 5:30 for breakfast! He still is wearing the ribbon!



No comments:

Post a Comment