Sunday, November 23, 2014

11.23.14 Sunday kayaking

It was a nice low key day. Did a little work, hiked another stone trail, visited the teachers from the high school, checked on the refugees, played with the neighbor kids, fed Chocolate and then went on a wonderful kayak excursion to O'Keefe Island.

First Chocolate. It appears he has forgotten or forgiven me the bath. But his coat does look a lot better, especially on the side that had the most scrubbing. He now eats from my hand (no rabies in Yap) so I pulled out the loose hairs with one hand and fed him with the other. It also looks like he  has filled out just a little. He scarfs down these pepperoni dog treats - I only give him two or three a day so he does not have gi problems. He also loves the milkbones and  now is not so hot on cereal. Spoiled already.

The kayaking was great. Waited until 5:30 when it is not blazing hot, and this afternoon we had a lot of dark clouds. There was a rainbow in the East and the tide was still coming in. So I had a great paddle out across the shipping channel and then to more shallow water to look for fish along the reef (I do see more fish leaning over the bridge) and then paddled to O'Keefe's Island. O'Keefe is famous for being rescued by the locals and then importing the stone money for them from Palau. Made it just ahead of the very dark clouds moving in quickly from the east. The rainbow was beautiful as it reached all the way to the horizon of the ocean when I first started.

Here are two pictures of O'Keefe's Island. Remnants of his home are on the island. Was thinking of going back sometime and maybe have a picnic. Then I saw a ton of mosquitoes. Maybe I'll just paddle all the way around the island or find a bug free landing.




This is Cutey. His owner doesn't want him anymore, sad to say. Love this dog - he is only four months old and he gives puppy kisses. He also likes the milkbone and pepperoni treats. But I am not allowed a dog in the apartment, so I cannot take him and I don't want him to become a stray.  He really wants to run around and play with the other dogs. Who can blame him? They are free to roam nad explore and he has a short chain. The teachers ask me what do I do here to fill my time. I have a lot going on between work, refugees, exploring, playing with and reading to children, photography, walks, swimming, bird watching and tending to the dogs that I am never bored.



Pretty sunset.




A dog from the village of Keng. All white is a bit unusual. Note the collar. He belongs to someone.


No comments:

Post a Comment