Tuesday, June 2, 2015

06.02.15. Post on OI trip Ifalik


05.18.15 Ifalik

What a beautiful little atoll. It is a charming island with approximately 600 inhabitants. We had a very nice welcome by the Chief and the health assistants Peter, Charm and Amanda. The custom is that women are not allowed at the men’s house. But Joe, the HA from Lamotrek, told me to go with him and pay homage to the chief. This was a bit of a joke as the interest was in the totem pole – complete with a turtle, lizard and male genitalia. I asked the Chief if I could take a picture and he asked me to join them. That is a true privilege.  I could tell that the older man in our group was none too pleased. He is very much a traditionalist and he feels that this new generation and lack of cultural conformity is dangerous. None of the other men appeared to have much of an issue and if the chief says it is OK, it is OK. Melissa told me in advance if I went and saw the totem pole and took pictures it would bring me bad luck. I told her that that would only happen if I believed in that aspect of the culture. Apparently they do black magic in the island. I told her I did not believe in that either, so I should be safe.

We had a very full day. From a breast health point of view we had our meeting with the women and the female health assistant, then I taught her how to do a clinical breast examination. Together we saw every woman on the island that wanted a breast examination – at least thirty. She found one breast mass and I should her how to do an aspiration. It was a great day. I had a little time to explore and walked to the elementary school. Then I followed a path through the village – no one seemed to mind, especially since I just finished helping them, and a young girl took me around so I would not get lost. You can almost see on the north side of the island from the south side. But it would be a little bit bigger of a walk if I went east to west!

The day started with a rainbow on the horizon under some very dark clouds. And it also poured. A little later the sun was out and it was hot and humid again. I simply glow with drips coming from my face almost constantly. It is that hot.

Here are a few pictures from the day:
Sunrise over Ifalik












 Early morning rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment