Saturday, June 6, 2015

OI trip. Wottegai. Wolleai


05.24.15.Wottegai.Woleai

O. it has been ages since I walked down a path holding hands with an adoring young man. Charlton Blake, a handsome four year old, walked with me from the immunization site to the dispensary on the far end of the island, looking up at me with a beautiful smile and eyes full of awe. He was so darling.  He also gave me my nu-nu when I arrived and did not cry when he got his shots. His Mom and Dad – Rosemary and Robert – must adore him.

Today is Sunday and even though we had to work, I managed to slip away for Mass (twenty feet away!). Was able to get done all of my tasks and speak to the women without an interpreter. It is really much harder to explain concepts, so I had to just be very simple and general. I have no script and try to match the audience. This is the first time I performed a CBE under coconut trees.

After we finished working the local men barbequed fresh fish, including running trout and tuna and reef fish. So very, very good.  They also prepared rice, taro and breadfruit. I have to pace myself as we are far from the ship. Went for a walk along the shore and a girls named Shannon and Kerna met me. They were told rightly so to practice their English with me. So we talked and walked and I found one big shell and people gave me a few more. The shell I found is old and worn and I like the effects. The community gave me clean shiny ones. They are indeed very kind.

We went back to the ship around mid-afternoon and called it a day. We still have one more island in the Woleai atoll, but the communities had previous plans for graduation celebrations and were not planning on immunizations. So I worked on my trip report, read my Kindle, had one all too brief nap, then a special dinner. My friend Diane sent me a Hickory Farms box and I saved it for a special day. Today was the day. I shared that in the galley. They enjoyed it almost as much as me. Diane – thank you for that treat. It was indeed worth the wait to eat it.

After dinner it was back to the cabin to edit the trip report. There are many problems and concerns and lack of medical supplies and needed improvements for the facilities. I need to present this is a very clear way and still keep it balanced. So it is write, read, rewrite. Melissa is supposed to organize the immunization data. She is going to need to learn to say no to fun and concentrate on work if she is to succeed in school. She wants to come to Boston and attend college to become a registered nurse. She is a nurse here, but the education and training is nowhere near what it should or could be. She is bright enough to know that and energetic enough to start as a freshman if accepted to college. She is also bright enough to know that she needs to be in a place that has few distractions (people from home) so she can study.
Catching fish from the side of the ship.
 Sunrise.





Traditional house. With a solar panel.



The dispensary. My office window looks right out ot the sea. (just kidding.)



Keeping the vacinnes cool in the ice chests covered with palm leaves.




Lunch. Tasty. Prepared by the local men.



 

 

1 comment:

  1. Please dr. Tell naveen kumar to call his home. What is the problem. Why he is not talking by mobile phone. Is he in jail.You are the last hope . Please dr. tell him his mother is very ill.

    ReplyDelete