Monday, June 1, 2015

OI trip Woleai atoll


Blog.05.17.15.WOLEAI

(TEGAILAP, SELIAP, FALALUS)

Such a beautiful atoll. There are quite a few islands that comprise Woleai – each one more beautiful than the next. And it reminds me of the images of those lush islands in the movies South Pacific and Hawaii.  Yap island is very different. Even with the same vegetation, Yap does not have the exotic feel that is present in these islands. It may be because these outer islands are quaint, have more traditional houses – now with solar panels – and no paved road. I have not been to Woleai-Falalop yet, so we will see if there is any similarity there. I heard they have stores on Falalop!

Reminds me of a story. I was talking to Martina L. one day and she asked where I was going. There also was a man eavesdropping. I said I was going to Gagil. Why are you going there she asked. O, I am going to the mall in Gagil I said. What! she exclaimed and the man looked at me. They have a mall in Gagil he asked.  Haha, no there is no mall in Gagil. Maybe the mall is in Woleai!

BTW, while writing this I am enjoying some very fine home-made Italian cookies. Thank you very much Miss Arlene P. They are delicious. And speaking of food, we are doing well on this trip. So far we had fresh tuna, fresh reef fish and tonight – octopus. Even though we did not purchase the meal plan with our ship ticket, the men in the kitchen prepare our rice (they are very curious why neither Melissa nor I can cook!) and provide us with the fresh fish. Melissa is a wonderful person – I think she could pretty much charm whatever she needs from almost anyone. This is her sixth outer island trip so she pretty much knows everyone.

There are many things that I must get done including an assessment of the dispensaries for PH and to introduce breast health care to the health assessments and the women in the communities. Some have been easier than others but the Field Trip Officer wants to hurry. He is working with the immunization team and they have fewer children to immunize than I have consultations and teaching to do and then looking at the building structures and equipment and supply needs. Also, for those of you who may be patients of mine, I also try very hard not to rush anyone out of the room. I still ask do you have any questions. Yes it takes time and I know he was a bit irritated with me. More than that we have a health assistant from another island and I believe he is egging on the FTO to keep moving. He wants to go home. Patience, he’ll get there. We also have to consider the weather. We did “run away” from the last typhoon that might have hit Guam by now, but as far as we know, none are on the horizon. It rained today, but that was no big deal. We did not have time to get to two more islands in Woleai and for some reason the captain wants to leave in the early morning hours for the next stop. The initial plan was for two days in the big islands (like Woleai and Ulithi) and one day in the small islands. How these schedules do change.

Here are a couple photographs from today:
 
Sunset.

Anton.



Thisis where my LL Beanpocket knife came in handy. Used to fix the motor.















Local sailing canoe (outrigger) on the horizon.


 

2 comments:

  1. My home island Tegailap,, it's been i while but still that's where i belong. I missed it so much and i can't wait to go back there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting. One day, you shall return!

    ReplyDelete