Saturday, June 13, 2015

06.13.15 Saturday in Yap

It has been a rather good if not quiet week. No out of town visitor, by that I mean no onehere from the CDC, WHO or any other organization. That also translates into us being able to get our work done uninterrupted. However, that being said, I always enjoy the visitors.

Chocolate has been around a lot lately. On the way back from the hospital today he caught up with Shorty and me. When they first met in the Fall, Chocolate would always bark at Shorty, nothing has chnaged. Shorty is still afraid of him. Sometimes when I arrive at work with Shorty and Blondie, Buddy, Scarback and Sweet Baby all run towards me. All looking for treats. Judith's dog Scarback and Sweet Baby have moved to Daniel's porch making it much easier for us to feed them, but maybe not his Mom's liking. Chocolate and Sweet Baby are too sad looking dogs. Very thin.

Had visited with Heidi and the four kids. Little Honora cut her hair! She took scissors and just took a large bit from the front sides. But she is so cute, so can pull off the look! LittleTheo had a trip to the ER with a cut tongue, he fell and bit it. Heidi does have her hands full with four very active and energetic children. Not to mention the neighbor's kids are there as well, it is a full and  fun house.

And in keeping with it is a small island and everyone is related, the night watchman is the grandfather of little CIa, the two year old dancer I pictured  in the early blogs. He said she remembers me and sees me in town. The grandmother and family were here tonight, so I gotto  help Cia. She is getting more beautiful every time I see her. She will go to Early Childhood Educaiton (ECE) this Fall.

We did a little star gazing tonight, Shorty chased a few bugs, and now I sent him outside to watch for dogs and cats so I can write! He still likes to gnaw on me sometimes, just like he does on his furry friends. The sky  is beautiful with almost no clouds and  no moonlight, so we can see the North Star as well as the Southern Cross and every constellation in between. Wish I was better at that. But I am enjoying the gentle breeze off the ocean.

1 comment:

  1. You wrote:

    "The sky is beautiful with almost no clouds and no moonlight, so we can see the North Star as well as the Southern Cross and every constellation in between. Wish I was better at that."

    Dr. Rosemary,

    Our group of astronomers, admiring your work, would love to help you with that and more.

    If you are still in Micronesia early next year will you join us traveling to Woleai for the total solar eclipse of 2016 March 9 Wednesday, if we can make good arrangements.

    Here is the chart by Fred Espenak...

    http://eclipsewise.com/solar/SEgmap/2001-2100/SE2016Mar09Tgmap.html?zoom=1

    (be sure to maximize the size of the window, then click "Large map" at lower right)

    ...on which you can see Woleai will experience slightly more than 4 minutes in the moon's shadow - an unforgettable spectacle for anyone who will be there, "the closest we can come to space travel".

    John Beattie
    New York
    jrbt[at]eclipse.net

    ReplyDelete