Monday, December 1, 2014

12.01.14 Tropical Storm "Hagupit"

We are on watch for a tropical storm, perhaps typhoon, to hit us in the next day or so. It is at this time hitting one of Yap State's outer islands, news may reach us tomorrow on how they managed.

Just added - we're in it now. Heavy rain and winds.



Today we started the training/refresher course for clinical breast exams. Went to the municipality called Tomil and we had the  doctor, two community health nurses and 6 local women. It was a nice morning and I think they enjoyed the presentation. I asked Aileen, who works at the cancer program, to give the first part - risk factors, and history taking. We used my "pink sheet" as the model. Aileen is from Yap, and did her professional education in the USA. She is really nice and gave a very good presentation. Then I demonstrated a physical examination. The audience had to do a pretest and a post test. I'll grade them later, but I am curious how much they learned.

Yesterday while looking at the ariplanes, I also saw some beautiful plants. These are pitcher plants, carnivorous. There were quite a few of them, some large - a few inches tall and others only about one inch. They are connected to the leaf by a tendril, very clever.







Don't know the name of this flower, but thought it was also very pretty.



Haven't see my buddy Chocolate in over three days, and I am worried. I usually feed him three times a day and he waits for  me in the morning to walk me to work and then again when I come home. I looked everywhere for him. Went down all the pathways he takes but cannot find him. I am hoping no one harmed him, but that might be the case. In that case, I will be very sad. He kept me occupied with something else to do other than work. And the other dog that gave me puppy kisses (Cutey) was sent to the village, so today was really lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment