Friday, December 26, 2014

12.26.14 Rain. Wind. Boat People. Bruce

Today was a regular work day so I decided to work from home. Had a sore throat and it was raining so thought it best not to walk in the rain. Most likely I would not  have wanted to walk in the sunshine either!
A couple of the staff came over to the apartment to see me. While they said they missed me they didn't think I should go to the office as very few people were there. So we chatted for a while and  l learned that they like Lindt chocolate. You cannot get it here and thanks to Kari, we had a big bag. So that was a major hit with the women. Later Maria, the chief of the laboratory came over with homemade banana bread, so she too got Lindt chocolate. And smiled. It really is the small things.
So I did work and got caught up with a few things.
Then Stan (from Christmas dinner) dropped a few items over for the green boat people. After it finally stopped raining, I walked over to see them (the "refugees") and signed in with the police. I had not been there for a while as the leadership wanted the Yapese to take over. It was nice to learn that they all missed me and asked if I could check on them more often. In addition to clothes, one item was a soccer ball and I also brought them some bread I bought from a local lady. When I looked, I noticed that one blue boat was missing. So I went back to the police with more questions. One boat of Vietnamese escaped! On Saturday night they started up the engines (why did they have fuel you may ask - and where was the police detail?) and took off with more than 25 people. So the rest of them are in jail. (The green boat = men from India and Nepal trying to get to Hawaii. Blue boat people = fisherman fishing illegally in Micronesian waters.)  The guarding of the boats was obviously very lax. But this apparently does not hurt the green boat people because, according to the police, they listen and did not  steal fish. So  IOM (International Organization for Migration) is going to interview the green boat men and send them home if they want or ........ they are coming to America. That is the word on the street. The US Embassy has given $25,000.00 to support them already. Don't be surprised if I report that they are on their way. Some might have family and most likely that  is  where they will go. Stay tuned as they say.
Heidi and Amos and their four were on a walk. It is also funny to hear a little voice calling "Doctor Rosemary" in a very excited tone. So hugs and kisses all around as the kids were going to get a hamburger with ketchup. They were thrilled. It is a treat for them.
Tonight the winds picked up and it was a steady 15 to 20 knots. I love this weather, warm and stormy. The only really safe place at night is to go  to  Mnuw. My usual seat on the starboard side of the  ship restaurant/bar was just waiting for me. It is  the side with the best view of the stars and the best wind. I asked them to play the video of Bruce Springsteen in Dublin, had a glass of  white wine - had to hold it still as the wind was gusting to at least 30 knots and the glass shook. But it was great to be outside and they stayed open until the concert was finished. There is one song - Pay me my money down - that Fionnegan and Gunnarr and I danced to each Saturday as I would be doing chores, so it was nice to reflect. My boys. Haven't received a Christmas picture  of them yet.
It was a nice day all around.

It is so cute to see Santa and a snowman here! But it  did snowin Hawaii today, so anything is possible.

Lights along the lagoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment