Tuesday, December 9, 2014

12.09.14 Tuesday

The island has largely recovered, except for communities in the southern and northeastern part of the island, where homes were collapsed by the winds and rain. Work is progressing and tonight I finished a grant (who would have thought I'd be grant writing) and submitted it to the Peace Corps. I am finishing a protocol for the early school children hemoglobin checks as well as a disaster preparedness plan. I justs read in my weather email alerts that we have another tropical storm near. As long as it drops the heat and humidity, I won't mind.

Sunday was an interesting day and I did something I have never done in my life. I went to Mass in the morning, then in the afternoon went to the Mass in the prison, then went with the group to visit the refugees for a third Mass. If that doesn't get me a gold star I don't know what will!

The prison is right by town center and has between 12 to 15 men. While women are criminals, too, they usually give them house arrest. The prison is also used as a holding area for psychiatric patients, usually men.

A few decorations are appearing for the holidays. This is in the lobby of Trader's Ridge.



This is the prison. As I was sitting there I was planning the escape - it did not seem to be too hard to  get out of there. But we are on a small island and there are not that many places to hide I guess. This is  Father John, a Jesuit and good cook. He speaks Yapese. Two others are prisoners.



The refugees now have much better shelter. But someone needs to make a decision on what to do with them. They remain friendly and polite but no doubt restless. Apparently the US Embassy is involved. Stay tuned.

Also, no word on what will become of  the fisherman from VietNam. They too  have been guests here for a while. I had to check some of both on Sunday and Monday. Father brought them some fresh fruit.

This is Father John and Agnes.



Agnes talking to the men to get them singing. I wonder what they are thinking. Some understand a reasonable amount of English, no doubt getting better here but with a Yapese accent.  They all attended Mass but I am willing to bet few are Christian. It is obvious they appreciate the visit from the priest, it must help them to know people care about their welfare. No doubt they feel lost, the longer  they stay here.



The young man in the orange shirt sang a song in English and Nepalese.



I have not seen my buddy Chocolate since the typhoon. A friend suggested that since he was old maybe he died, but that his last weeks were happy. I like that. He was happy. He received a lot of attention and food.

For a while there were no dogs anywhere but they are slowly back in town. Blondie is back and she gets her treats. There is a young one that has been on the trail, and Chocolate used to bark at him to keep him away from the  treats. He found me this morning and jumps and plays like a puppy, so I think he is young, He has a collar and will sit and give you his paw so of course he gets a treat. See his tail wagging. He eats right out of my hand, too. And he lets me pet him, something most dogs won't allow. Most of them are not treated well.



And there is Shorty, the other dogs pick on him but he is adorable. He, too, will eat from my hand but is skittish about petting.

Lots of boxes arrived with all kinds of  treats. So everyone should be really happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment