Tuesday, December 23, 2014

12.23.14 Learning

This is one of those days that you simply cannot plan. Had an impromptu talk with one of our co-workers and she talked about life here from the local point of view. We talked about dating. working outside of the home, and cultural issues - such as women not being able to watch the men's dances (for the most part). It was a great time for me to just listen and ask questions. Every day I  learn a little bit  more but today was more of a leap than a step.

Later I had a chat with  Julie (Chief of Pubic Health), just talking and she was also pointing out some cultural things that take a long time to learn. As someone who speaks her mind (really you say), it is a challenge to navigate in a society where no one speaks their mind - usually. And not everything is verbalized. Raised eyebrows means yes - I learned that from the kids at early childcare and love the expression. Our medical chief does that when I talk to him and initially I thought he did that as "that is interesting" sign. I didn't really know he was saying yes!

But while there is talking about everything that everybody does, it is not quite "gossip".  It is a lot like reporting without a newspaper. Stories are frequently hard to decipher and there is very little transparency. From my  point of view, it is best not  to  repeat any story as I probably only have a part of the information and might have even lost more in translation.

Then later this afternoon I met another local women while doing errands and we ended up having tea at my place. We had planned to see the school play but started to talk about  a lot of issues ranging from property rights, girls' education, verbal and physical abuse of women, support systems, and the old cultural ways compared to the present day. Yap is no different from any other place on earth - the older generation is certain that the younger generation has lost its way. In some ways, that is true, in other respects, it is just change - some good, some probably not so good. And we all know change is hard, no matter how helpful or positive.

We talked a lot about what we could do to help the women. I am very concerned about the abuse and am aware that the women also are very reluctant to say anything. Think back to about 50 years ago or so, that is what it is like here. I also feel one year is a very short time for me to become so ingrained in the culture to be able to help. But I am planning on doing something. I will need to talk with Julie  for  her advice. There are also two other "senior" women (Naty and Denita) - I call them my council - and run things past them before acting on important things where knowledge of culture is important. Perhaps the four of us can develop a plan.

We did miss the school play but got there in time for ice cream! Yes, a good old fashion ice cream cone hit the spot. Then I walked Agnes part way to  her home and stopped off at Mnuw to see  the closest thing we have to a movie. They were playing a video of a concert with Stevie Nicks. I had no money so I had a water! The wait staff are really nice to me, I am sure they would have given me a credit if I wanted, but water hit the spot. Then it poured down raining so we all hard to run inside. But the  wind is great and refreshing and nighttime is really comfortable. The Yapese think some nights are too cold but for me they are perfect. Nothing like a good wind in a stormy atmosphere to clear the mind and invigorate the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment