Sunday, December 28, 2014

12.28.14 An afternoon like none other

The start to the day was a bit fractures. First I was up at 1:00 so I did emails, "read" the paper and did a few work related things. Finally I was able to fall asleep but with an incredibly intense dream from which I could not awaken. My morning then was off to a really late start and I had no spare time as I planned on doing some work related to our betel nut survey. My friend Agnes stopped over and bless her heart offered to survey some people. Yes. I would like about 500 completed, as of today I  have 223 submitted and entered into the database.

But I had plans for the afternoon that turned into such a special experience. All of the youth choirs got together and performed a holiday special program. It was rich in culture, singing, dancing, and celebrating a good life and Christmas. Regardless of religious preference, there was a lesson for all of us to be better people. It was to start at 3, and the singing on stage did start about 3:30, with the performances commencing around 4. Yapese time. But I had a front row seat and have many pictures and videos. I will need a little time to edit the videos into clips that can be uploaded, so please give me a some time for that. This will be my evening project when I get weary of working on data and preparedness plans and protocols.

The energy of the students was palpable, the teachers also participated, and it was obvious a lot of work went into the production. I like to watch everyone get ready, so these first pictures are "behind" the scenes and then the first number and a skit.

The stage.



Soon the kids would be wearing Santa hats with the flower garlands on top, A mixture of the cultures. It works.

Tinsel garlands are a big hit here for the holidays. Makes sense as wearing the flowering nu-nu is a mainstay of the culture.


Maybe he is her little brother. She was very kind and gentle with him.




Singing before the performance started.



He is 5. By the time the show ended (almost 7 PM), he was my new photography assistant. Initially he liked to have his picture taken, then he was looking at the images through the view finder in the back of the camera, then I just let him hold it and click the button. He took pictures of all kinds of things - chairs, the floor, his friends, and sometimes the dancers. :)


Music entertained the crowd while we waited for the dancers.

Go this way. Getting the dancers ready for the performance.

It had been raining hard all day and the roof of the community center leaked in several places. This man is mopping up the wet areas on the concrete floor.


A prayer was offered before the dancers performed.


He is a minister  from Fiji. He was like the master of ceremonies.




The dancing was very vigorouos. They must have been exhausted by the end of the program.




This young man talks to me often. I  usually see him during my evening walks as I cross the bridge. He is a really nice person.



The teacher, I believe.








This lesson behind this skit was to show us that we may not be perfect, and that there are changes that can be made to help. One man is wearing his shoes on his hands, the girl is wearing her sunglasses upside down, one man has his coat on inside out and backwards, and the other is a man who dresses as a woman. That one reflects the cultural attitudes - "you are a man not a girl" he was told. That may not go  down well at home, but it is an honest appraisal of their beliefs. These young adults were very good - they must have practiced hours and hours for  this show. Many are also very talented, especially this girl in white with the upside down sunglasses. She sings, she dances, she has a great smile (remember her from the Santa event?), and she is simply beautiful.











This wig was well used during the program!

 
 





Yes, the man in the middle is from Illinois. He may be a teacher here now.



1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful! I can't believe you are doing mostly data collection, etc. and not any hands-on medical work. Are you comfortable with that arrangement?

    ReplyDelete