Tuesday, December 16, 2014

12.16.14 Trip to neighboring islands postponed and postponed again

Well, apparently we can thank the national government for not paying the airline fee for our trip to the neighboring islands. We were supposed to leave on Friday, then that cancelled, then tomorrow, but today we were told the office was too busy to pay the fee, so we are going in January 2015. So I did unpack tonight as I was running short of  clean shirts. There was no sense unpacking Friday night if I was going to have to pack again tonight!

It is tough to get back into office desk mentality when one is anticipating field work. But today was productive as I reviewed many charts for the surgical outcome project while Daniel, my newly acquired assistant, entered data for me from the PPE and breast pre and post lecture quizzes. He is also working on a poster for me on betel nut and then I anticipate having him doing chart reviews and more data entry from the betel nut survey. Another PH person has been working on her poster on meliodiosis for almost three weeks with no progress. We will have to work out that one.

Decided to provide a prize for the most completed betel nut sureys. Actually a first, second and third prize will get a little extra cash for Christmas. However, and there is always a however, the minimum requirement to be eligible for a prize is 25 surveys. I am very curious how many will be done. I am doing none so as not to enter any more bias into the  survey with an American asking questions.

Andrew, the volunteer teacher at Yap Catholic was accepted into  medical school. He is thrilled and I am certain he will be an excellent physician. I am also looking forward to his return from Buffalo so he can resume doing the brunt of the charts!!!  Andrew if you are reading this know that you are missed! I have reviewed over 100 since you left.

Have not been  able to watch any Patriot games but do follow the scores. Sometimes I catch a Sunday night game on Monday afternoon. This Monday I must have had the best sashimi ever. Fresh fish is not that available as one might think. But on Monday we had freshly caught fish that was excellent. It was so delicious I could believe it. That and a football game and I was rather happy.

It is  starting to feel like Christmas - a little. On the way to work this morning I passed a man humming a Christmas carol, there are a few decorations and trees trimmed, people are saying "Merry Christmas" was walking by, but it is still sooooooooooo hot and humid. I have a little tree in my living room decorated with angels and stars made in Yap with a couple of red bows and a nativity scene.

Here are a few pictures from town:

Tuesday is cute baby clinic. Here is Daniel giving immunization and other medications to an infant.





It wouldn't be Christmas without Santa Claus.



And our friendly Frosty the Snowman made his way to Yap and did not melt.





And yes, I did slip in a few pictures of the growing number of puppies and dogs that I feed.

Here is the tiny  puppy probably less than one month.

 
 
 
 
 
The puppy's Momma dog. She followed me home today. She does remember where I live and climbed up the steps quickly in anticipation of some food.
 
 
 
 
They are eating kibbles and bits. Usually I hand feed them but it is hard to hold the camera and do both.


Shorty, about 8 months. He is still cutting teeth - on my bracelet and rings and fingers. Daniel lives across the street from the hospital, and so does Shorty. So he nows feeds him too! Shorty is going to get me into trouble. He follows me along the corridors of the hospital outpatient area. It is all open and much cooler than sitting outside, I guess. He also thinks he'll get another treat if he follows me. No treats in the hospital and none along the roadside.


 

 
 A flower blooming along one of the stone walkways.
 


 

This is Riyuul (who would have been mine if allowed a pet in the apartment) and her sister Chaddy. I could not have lefther alone outside all day. Too many cars here for a puppy. They need a yard. Riyuul is the one with the open mouth. They always put their noses in the camera. She is also a bit of a barker, so there would have been no hiding her here during the day.
 



Woody, the Momma dog and Riyuul and Chaddy.



The girls after a snack and some tummy rubs. Riyuul is always ready to play. (Just like my Fionnegan.)



Here are the three puppies - a male was already adopted.  The one on the left has a home, we call him the gentle giant. He is bigger than all of the others, but has a very gentle disposition. They all give puppy kisses, but he is really the sweet one. (Just like my Gunnarr.) He is smiling, too.



Riyuul.


Chaddy.


Gentle Giant.


Riyuul sees herself in the window and thinks someone is  inside. And she barks, of course! These pups are about 9 to 10 weeks old and look how tall she is already. They will be big dogs.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment