Thursday, December 25, 2014

12.25 Christmas dinners

Why was I concerned about what I would do on Christmas Day? I had thought about it for a some time after I arrived - would I be alone in my apartment? Would there be any Christmas lights? Where would  I find a tree? And ornaments? And what about a nativity? And friends? Not to mention dinner for one? The other Peace Corps volunteers had their villages, and each had their host "family" where they are given the ususal family titles of mother, father, brother, and sister. I  had an apartment. They would be with their new families having dinners of local foods surrounded by lots of people. Who knows what I would have.

Well, I should never have worried. My family here is the many good people in Colonia and the Yap Catholic High School. And a have a tree with lights and Yapese angels and stars, a nativity from Mrs. G, there are lighted scenes around the lagoon and in town, and I had a most special day.

After attending the local Midnight Mass I went to the English Mass in the morning. Not too many people and I  had to chuckle as the sermon was about truth and light. Father John told us one college motto was Truth (Harvard) and the other was Light and Truth (Yale), and that we needed light to see the truth. Wonder what my Harvard collegues think about that!

Lunch was enjoyed with Heidi and Amos and their four children - Tommy, Raina, Honora, and little Theo as well as their friend Stan (whose wife will be back on the Saturday's flight).

Father Kelly said we can say "Merry Christmas" through Jauary 11th.


Heidi, Theo, Tommy, Raina, Honora, Amos, Stan. We enjoyed a delicious Christmas dinner on their deck right on the lagoon. Heidi home schools children, Amos is a pilot for PMA, Stan is a volunteer from Australia (Heidi's home, too) who is a soccer coach. Stan is a volunteer without any type of organizational financial support. A true gentleman.



Theo. I did rock hom to sleep after lunch.


Tommy - a great little boy. He got a bow and arrow set (rubber tips) for Chritsmas and we had fun aiming at the freezer.



Raina, Tommy, Honora.



Honora (2 years) is my little one. She is simply adorable. She gives me kisses and hugs for no reason and cuddles with me. She was on my lap when I was eating dessert and was putting the whipped cream from my plate into her hand then into mine. Her Daddy made her  get off my lap so I can eat and her Mommy said she could sit with me when I was finished. So she  sat on her  Mom's lap and watched me intensely. As soon as I finished she declared Dr. Marci (she cannot say Rosemary) is finished! She hopped off her Mom's lap into mine and gave me a big kiss. Oh, yes, she is my little sweetheart.


Raina is a beautiful free spirited child. Fearless. And very agile. She gives hugs  and kisses, too.

Tommy is very polite, engages in conversations and likes sharks. We are going to watch his videos next time. The kids loved the Hershey kisses.


After lunch  I had a break for  a while and went home to prepare for Christmas dinner with the Jesuits and the Yap Catholic volunteer teachers, Agnes (a local woman lived in Hawaii and who walks everywhere and takes care of her elderly Mother) and Don, an American who has lived in Yap for 44 years. He owns the O'Keefe Inn and the restaurant. He is an architect and designed the Trader's Ridge Hotel and the new chapel at the school.  Don and Agnes left before the pictures were taken (they were in the Thanksgiving pictures).

Kate, Lupo, Shane, Rick. (left to right) Volunteer teachers.



Father John.

Kate, Lupo, Shane, Father Bosco (from Sumatra, works at St. Joseph's Gagil), Rick, and Patrick, in training.


A great day for friendship, good conversation, and good food.


No comments:

Post a Comment